- Mines teams up with Pioneer Astronautics to advance sustainable lunar exploration
Researchers at Mines, Honeybee Robotics, NASA’s Johnson Space Center and Pioneer Astronautics will build and demonstrate hardware to produce oxygen and steel from lunar regolith.
- 2 students honored at ASM International Student Speaking Symposium
Two Colorado School of Mines students won awards in the virtual Fall 2020 Student Speaking Symposium hosted by ASM International.
- Triple ionic-electronic conducting oxides show promise for fuel cells, electrolysis
Meagan Papac, a joint Mines-NREL PhD student, is the lead author of the new research, published today in the journal Nature Materials.
- Five ways Mines researchers and their students are making campus safer during the pandemic
Through these projects and others, Mines faculty and students are giving Mines an upper hand in responding to the pandemic and its challenges.
- Mines researchers use neutrons to study weld-induced stress relief in renewable energy infrastructure
[Editor's note: This article first appeared on the Oak Ridge National Laboratory website. ORNL has provided Mines Newsroom with permission to re-share it here.] By Jeremy Rumsey, Oak Ridge Nation …
- Mines researcher contributing to $4M DOE project for energy-efficient steelmaking
Researchers believe the de-carbonization of the steel industry can be achieved by connecting ironmaking to renewable electric power through electrolytically produced hydrogen.
- Metallurgical engineering PhD wins Spring 2020 Rath Award
The honor, which recognizes the Mines doctoral graduate whose thesis demonstrates the greatest potential for societal impact, was presented during Spring 2020 Graduate Commencement on May 8.
- Vladan Stevanovic wins NSF CAREER Award for work to discover new metastable materials
"Why does this matter? If you are looking for the hardest material on Earth, and you don’t consider metastable states, you just missed diamond, which is the hardest material that we know."
- Mines professor emeritus wins IIW Yoshiaki Arata Award
Stephen Liu, who was awarded emeritus status in 2019, was recognized for his "outstanding achievements in fundamental research in welding science and technology."
- Mines wins first Materials Bowl three-peat in strong showing at TMS 2020
Mines has now won the competition, held every year since 2007, eight times — only one other school has won it more than once.