C. Matthew Enloe
Affiliate Faculty for Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Matt Enloe is the Senior Manager for Technical Devlopment at CBMM North America, the world’s leader in niobium production and technology. Matt’s expertise centers on physical and mechanical metallurgy of advanced ferrous systems and alloy design for product/process optimization. He holds both a BS and MS in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and a PhD in Metallurgical Engineering from the Colorado School of Mines. He is also a licensed professional engineer in the State of Michigan. Prior to his current current position, Matt held positions in both product development and process metallurgy at General Motors, Severstal NA, and Caterpillar.
PhD, Colorado School of Mines, ASPPRC (2013) Major: Metallurgical Engineering Dissertation: “The Effects of Molybdenum on Niobium, Titanium Carbonitride Evolution and Grain Refinement in High-Temperature Vacuum Carburizing Alloys”
MS, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (2007) BS with Honors, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (2005)
· C.M. Enloe, F. D’Aiuto, H. Mohrbacher, “Perspectives on Maximizing Strengthening Mechanisms in Automotive HSLA Steel,” AIST Transactions, Vol. 19 , No. 1, pp. 204-212 (2022). DOI 10.33313/TR/0122
· C. M. Enloe, V. Savic, W. Poling, L. Hector, R. Alturk, “Strain Rate Effect on Martensitic Transformation in a TRIP Steel Containing Carbide-Free Bainite,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0521, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0521. (Recipient of 2020 Sydney H. Melbourne Award)
· J.C. Pang, H.L. Yi, Q. Lu, C.M. Enloe and J. F. Wang, “Effect of TiN-Particles on Fracture of Press Hardened Steel Sheets and Components,” Journal of Materials, Volume 71, Issue 4, pp. 1329–1337 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-018-3308-z (TMS Structural Materials Division JOM Best Paper Award)
· C.M. Enloe, and J. Coryell, J. Wang, “Retained Austenite Stability and Impact Performance of Advanced High Strength Steel at Reduced Temperatures,” SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing, Vol. 10, 2017-01-1707, pp. 245-251 (2017). (Recipient of 2018 Sydney H. Melbourne Award)
· C.M. Enloe, J. Wang, J.P. Singh, C. Horvath, N. Ramisetti, S. Sriram, “Process Influences on Press Hardened Steel Microstructure and Impact Performance,” Iron & Steel Technology, October 2016, AIST, p. 124 (2016). Republished from AISTech 2016 Proceedings. (Recipient of 2017 Gilbert R. Speich Award)
· M. Shamsujjoha, C.M. Enloe, A.C. Chuang, J.J. Coryell, H. Ghassemi-Armaki, “Mechanisms of Paint Bake Response in Resistance Spot-Welded First and Third Generation AHSS,” Materialia, Vol. 15, 100975, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mtla.2020.100975
· J. Klemm-Toole, M. Agnani, S.W. Thompson, K.O. Findley, C.M. Enloe, “The Case for Advanced Characterization to Better Understand Surface Hardening of Steels,” Advanced Materials & Processes, Vol. 179 (4), pp. 62-65 (2021).
· S. Bhartiya, V.S.Y. Injeti, C. Mahimkar, M. Bishop, D. Hennessy, C.M. Enloe, and A. De, “Approach to Successful Production of Very-Low-Carbon High-Strength Galvanized Dual-Phase Steels Through a CSP Flex Mill,” in: AISTech 2021 – Proceedings of the Iron & Steel Technology Conference, Nashville, TN, pp. 980-992 (2021).
· Y. Wang, T. Giddens, B. Williams, D. Stalheim, and C.M. Enloe, “Limiting Bainite Formation by Refinement in Nb-Microalloyed Hot-Rolled Sections,” in: AISTech 2021 – Proceedings of the Iron & Steel Technology Conference, Nashville, TN, pp. 993-1001 (2021).
· G. Leal, C.M. Enloe, M. Meira, E. Franca, F. Nascimento, and A. Halonen, “Wear Evaluation of Niobium-Added Cast Iron for Brake Disc and Drum Applications,” SAE International Journal of Advances and Current Practices in Mobility, Vol. 3, 2020-01-1627, pp. 980-987 (2020).
· V. Savic, L. Hector, R. Alturk, and C. M. Enloe, “High Strain Rate Tensile Behavior of 1180MPa Grade Advanced High Strength Steels,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0754, (2020) https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0754.
· C.M. Enloe, K.O. Findley, and J.G. Speer, “Austenite Grain Growth and Precipitate Evolution in Low Alloy Steels with Combined Niobium and Molybdenum Additions,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 46, No. 11, p. 5308 (2015).
· R. Alturk, L.G. Hector, C. M. Enloe, F. Abu-Farha, T. Brown, “Strain Rate Effect on Tensile Flow Behavior and Anisotropy of a Medium-Manganese TRIP Steel,” Journal of Materials, Vol. 70, p. 894 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-018-2830-3
· D. Choi, S. Uhm, C.M. Enloe, H. Lee, G. Kim, C.D. Horvath, “Liquid Metal Embrittlement of Resistance Spot Welded 1180TRIP Steel – Effects of Crack Geometry on Weld Mechanical Performance,” Contributed Papers from Materials Science and Technology 2017, pp. 454-462, https://doi.org/10.7449/2017/MST_2017_454_462
· N. Ramisetti, J. Wang, C.M. Enloe, Q. Lu, L. Reini, “Loading Rate Effects on Apparent Bendability of 1.8 GPa PHS,” 7th International Conference on Hot Sheet Metal Forming of High-Performance Steel, Lulea, Sweden (2019).
· J. Pang, Q. Lu, J. Wang, C. Enloe, G. Wang, H. Yi, “A New Low Density Press Hardening Steel with Superior Performance,” 7th International Conference on Hot Sheet Metal Forming of High-Performance Steel, Lulea, Sweden (2019).
· C.D. Horvath, C.M. Enloe, J.P. Singh, J. Coryell, “Persistent Challenges to Advanced High-Strength Steel Implementation,” Iron & Steel Technology, October 2017, AIST, p. 76 (2017). (Republished
from the Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on New Developments in Advanced High-Strength Sheet Steels, Keystone, CO, June 2017.
· J. Wang, Y. Liu, Q. Lu, J. Pang, Z. Wang, C.M. Enloe, J.P. Singh, C.D. Horvath, “Effect of Microstructure on Impact Toughness of Press Hardening Steels with Tensile Strength above 1.8 GPa,” Iron & Steel Technology, October 2017, AIST, p. 104 (2017).
· J. Wang, C. Enloe, J. Singh, and C. Horvath, “Effect of Prior Austenite Grain Size on Impact Toughness of Press Hardened Steel,” SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing, Vol. 9, No. 2, p. 488 (2016), https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0359.
· J.G. Speer, C.M. Enloe, K.O. Findley, C.J. Van Tyne and E.J. Pavlina, “Solubility and Precipitation of Carbides Containing Nb and Mo in Low Alloy Steels” in: Proceedings, 2nd International Symposium on Nb and Mo Alloying in High Performance Steels, Vol. 2, edited by H. Mohrbacher, Jeju Island, South Korea, April 2013, TMS, p.85 (2015).
· J. Stock, C.M. Enloe, R.J. O’Malley, K.O. Findley, and J.G. Speer, “Cooling Rate Effects on the As-Cast Titanium Nitride Precipitation Size Distribution in a Low-Carbon Steel,” AIST Transactions, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 180 (2014).
· C.M. Enloe, K.O. Findley, C.M. Parish, M.K. Miller, B.C. De Cooman, and J.G. Speer, “Compositional evolution of microalloy carbonitrides in a Mo-bearing microalloyed steel,” Scripta Materialia, Vol. 68, p. 55 (2013).
· J. Johnson, H.J. Jun, N. Fonstein, and C.M. Enloe, “Effect of Silicon in As-Quenched and Quenched & Tempered Low Carbon Martensite,” in: Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on New Developments in Advanced High-Strength Sheet Steels, AIST, Vail, CO, p. 283 (2013).
· C.M. Enloe, K.O. Findley, J.G. Speer, A. Shibata, D. Terada, and N. Tsuji, “The effects of Mo and initial precipitate distribution on (Nb,Ti)(C,N) precipitate size evolution in a high temperature carburizing steel,” in: Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Steel Science, Kyoto, Japan, May 2012, Iron and Steel Institute of Japan, p. 163 (2013)
· C.M. Enloe, J. Wang, C.D. Horvath, J.P. Singh, “Steel Alloy with Tailored Hardenability,” 2019, US Patent 10,240,224.
· C.M. Enloe, C.D. Horvath, D. Yang, Q. Lu, W. Tao, “Multilayer steel and method of reducing liquid metal embrittlement,” 2019, US Patent 10,329,639.
· M. Holly, C.M. Enloe, D. Deciechi, J. Gentile, D. Cummings, “Ferritic Nitrocarburized Structural Parts,” US Patent, 2020, US Patent 10,870,910.
HONORS AND FELLOWSHIPS
· TMS Structural Materials Division JOM Best Paper Award (The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society, 2020)
· Sydney H. Melbourne Award for Excellence in the Advancement of Automotive Sheet Steel (Society of Automotive Engineers/American Iron and Steel Institute, 2020)
· Sydney H. Melbourne Award for Excellence in the Advancement of Automotive Sheet Steel (Society of Automotive Engineers/American Iron and Steel Institute, 2018)
· Gilbert R. Speich Award (Association for Iron & Steel Technology, 2017)
· EAPSI Fellow (U.S. National Science Foundation, 2011)
· International Research Fellow (International Center for Materials Research, UCSB, 2010)
· Donald W. Hamer Fellow (MSE Dept., UIUC, 2005-2007)
· Lucille & Charles Wert Scholarship (MSE Dept., UIUC, 2002)
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY AND JOURNAL ACTIVITIES
· Journal of Experimental Mechanics – Associate Technical Editor
· AIST Transaction – Editorial Board
· Association for Iron & Steel Technology (AIST) – Metallurgy Committee – Chair (2018-2019)
· Association for Iron & Steel Technology (AIST) – Metallurgy Committee – Awards Chair (2020-Present)
· SMDI Auto/Steel Partnership – Steel Testing & Harmonization Team – Chairperson (2017-2018)
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
· Professional Engineer (Michigan)