Brian P. Gorman
Associate Professor, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- PhD, Ceramic Engineering, University of Missouri – Rolla
- MS, Ceramic Engineering, University of Missouri – Rolla
- BS, Ceramic Engineering, University of Missouri – Rolla
COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES
- Associate Professor, March 2011 to present
- Assistant Professor, January 2009 to March 2011
OTHER RELATED EXPERIENCE
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of North Texas, 2004 to 2008
- Measurements and Characterization Division, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2006
- Texas Instruments and Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of North Texas, 2001 to 2004
- MST Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1998
- Electronic Materials Applied Research Center, University of Missouri – Rolla, 1996 to 2001
CONSULTING AND PATENTS
Texas Instruments, Sematech International, Zyvex Corporation, Aerospace Corporation, Siemens Nuclear, General Electric, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, FEI Company, Imago Scientific Instruments, Omniprobe, Inc.
1 patent, 1 patent pending (2008)
Scientific and Professional Societies
- American Ceramic Society
- Materials Research Society
- American Society for Mechanical Engineers
- Microbeam Analysis Society
- Microscopy Society of America
Honors and Awards
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, Oak Ridge Associated Universities (2006)
- Over 40 invited talks at national and international conferences
Institutional and Professional Service In The Last Five Years
- Focused Ion Beam Focused Interest Group Chair, Microscopy Society of America
- Reviewer for numerous technical journals
- International conference symposium organizer for numerous societies (MSA / MAS, ACerS)
- Panel member for proposal reviews for NSF, DOE, EPSRC (UK), US-Israel BSF.
Principal Publications In The Last Five Years
- G. Scappucci, W. M. Klesse, A. R. Hamilton, G. Capellini, D. L. Jaeger, M.R. Bischof, R.F. Reidy, B.P. Gorman, and M. Y. Simmons, “3D Epitaxial Circuits In Germanium: Stacking Of Two-Dimensional Electron Gases Probed At The Atomic-Level”, Nanoletters, submitted (2012).
- J.D. Fields, B. Gorman, T. Merdzhanova, B. Yan, T. Su, P.C. Taylor, “On The Origin Of Deep Oxygen Defects In Hydrogenated Nanocrystalline Thin Films”, J. Appl. Phys., submitted (2012).
- John W. Morse, Brian P. Gorman, “Epitaxial growth of aragonite from normal seawater via an amorphous CaCO3 surface layer: A possible explanation for the peculiar solubility behavior of aragonite in seawater”, Marine Chemistry, submitted (2012).
- M. Baker, J. King, B. Gorman, D. Marshall, “Selection and Properties of Alternative Forming Fluids for TRISO Fuel Kernel Production”, J. Nuc. Mat., submitted (2012).
- Rita Kirchhofer, John D. Hunn, Paul A. Demkowic, James I. Cole, and Brian P. Gorman, “Microstructure of TRISO Coated Particles from the AGR-1 Experiment I: SiC Grain Size and Grain Boundary Character”, J. Nuc. Mat., submitted (2012).
- Sean M. Babiniec, Neal P. Sullivan, Brian P. Gorman, “Processing Strategies For Lanthanum-Doped Strontium Titanate Anode Supports In Tubular Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells”, J. Am. Cer. Soc., Submitted (2012).
- Brian P. Gorman, David R. Diercks, Rita Kirchhofer, Melissa Teague, Arun Devaraj, Suntharampillai Thevuthasan, Stephen Parman, “Atom Probe Tomography of Oxide Ceramics and Geological Materials”, J. Am. Cer. Soc., submitted (2012).
- S.W. Schmucker, N. Kumar, J.R. Abelson, S.R. Daly, G.S. Girolami, M.R. Bischof, D.L. Jaeger, R.F. Reidy, B.P. Gorman, J. Alexander, J.B. Ballard, J.N. Randall & J.W. Lyding, “Field-Directed Sputter Sharpening For Tailored Probe Materials And Atomic-Scale Lithography”, Nature Communications, 3 (2012), 935.
- Jianhua Tong, Archana Subramaniyan, Harvey Guthrey, Daniel Clark, Brian P. Gorman, Ryan O’Hayre, “Electrical Conductivities Of Nano Ionic Composite Based On Yttrium-Doped Barium Zirconate And Palladium Metal”, Solid State Ionics 211 (2012) 26–33
- Lin Shao, Brian P. Gorman, Assel Aitkaliyeva, N. David Theodore, Guoqiang Xie, “Nanometer-Scale Tunnel Formation In Metallic Glass By Helium Ion Irradiation” Appl. Phys Lett., in print (2012).
- Fude Liu; C.-S. Jiang ; H. Guthrey; S. Johnston; M. J Romero; B. P Gorman; M. M Al-Jassim, “Optical response of grain boundaries in upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon for photovoltaics”, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 95 (2011) 2497-2501.
- Uma Choppali, Elias Kougianos, Saraju P. Mohanty, Brian P. Gorman, “Maskless deposition of ZnO films”, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, 95 (2011) 870–876.
- U. Choppali, E. Kougianos, S. P. Mohanty, B. P. Gorman, “Polymeric Precursor Derived Nanocrystalline ZnO Thin Films using EDTA as a Chelating Agent”, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, in press (2010), available online August 30, 2010.
- Zhou, X.-D., S. P. Simner, J. W. Templeton, Z. Nie, J. W. Stevenson, B. P. Gorman, “Electrochemical Performance and Stability of the Cathode for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 157 (5), B642-B649 (2010).
- L. Giannuzzi, B. P. Gorman, “FIB Induced X-rays (FIBIX) Using 30 keV Ga+ Ions”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 114, 5551-5554 (2010). Part of the “Barbara J. Garrison Festschrift”.
Hill Hall 386