Assistant Professor, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- University of Arizona, Materials Science and Engineering, Ph.D. 2003
- Korea University, Metallurgical Engineering, M.S. 1995
- Korea University, Metallurgical Engineering, B.S. 1993
- 2022 – Present, Associate Professor, Department of Mining Engineering, Colorado School of Mines
- 2014-2022, Associate Professor, Department of Mining and Geological Engineering, University of Arizona
- 2011-2014, Sr. Project Metallurgist & Sr. Process Engineer, Barrick Gold of North America
- 2007-2011, Sr. Metallurgical Engineer, Newmont Mining
- 2004-2007, Research Engineer, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Arizona
- Ore characterization and Extractive Metallurgy of Precious and Base Metals
- Extraction/Recovery of Rare Earth Elements and Strategic Materials
- Recovery of Metals from Aqueous Solutions
- Comminution and Mineral Processing
- Processing of Refractory Sulfide Minerals
- Recycling Metals from Urban Resources
- Tailing Reprocessing and Recovery of Values
HONORS AND AWARDS
- SME (Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration) Career Development Grant in 2018
- Freeport McMoRan Academic-Industry Mining (AIM) Fellowship in 2017 & 2018
SERVICE TO PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION
SOCIETY FOR MINING, METALLURGY AND EXPLORATION
- Mineral Metallurgical Processing Division Executive Committee
- MPD, Chemical Processing Committee, Vice Chair & Chair
- Inclusion & Diversity Committee
- Accreditation & Curricular Issues Sub Committee Member & Chair
- Arthur F. Taggart Award Committee
KOREA INSTITUTE OF RESOURCE RECYCLING
- Director of International Collaboration
- Editorial Board
INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE FOR INTERNATIONAL BIOHYDROMETALLURGY SYMPOSIUM
THE MINING AND MATERIALS PROCESSING INSTITUTE OF JAPAN (MMIJ) FALL MEETING AND THE 14TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON EAST ASIAN RESOURCE RECYCLING TECHNOLOGY
- Session Chair & Review Committee
- Hydrometallurgy 2023, Phoenix, AZ, Conference Chair
- Organizing Committee for Copper 2022, Santiago Chile
- Reviewer for Sustainable Development, Environmental Control, Recycling and Waste Management Symposium at Copper 2019, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Hydrometallurgy & Extraction 2018, Ottawa, ON, Canada, Organizing Committee
- Editors in Chief for Journal of Clean Technologies & Recycling
- Auxilium Technology Group
- Selected by BHP for Tailing Challenge
- Holistic Tailing Processing
- Decrease CO2 Emissions using Tailings
- Power Generation without CO2 Emissions.
- Cemvita Factory Inc.
- Bioleaching of Primary Copper Sulfides and Lithium
- Application of Microbiology in Extractive Metallurgy
- J. Ahn, J. Wu, and J. Lee, 2022. ”A comparative kinetic study of chalcopyrite leaching using alternative oxidants in methanesulfonic acid systme,” Min Proc and Extr Met Rev, 43(3), 390-401.
- J. Wu, J. Ahn, and J. Lee, 2022. ”Characterization of gold deportment and thiosulfate extraction for a copper-gold concentrate treated by pressure oxidation,” Hydrometallurgy, 207, 105771.
- J. Ahn, J. Wu, J. Ahn, and J. Lee, 2021. ”Arsenic trioxide leaching and scorodite crystallization in methanesulfonic acid,” Min Proc and Extr Met Rev, DOI: 10.1080/08827508.2021.1986705.
- J. Wu, J. Ahn, and J. Lee, 2021. ”Kinetic and mechanism studies using shrinking core model for copper leaching from chalcopyrite in methanesulfonic acid with hydrogen peroxide,” Min Proc and Extr Met Rev, 42 (1), 38-45.
- J. Wu, J. Ahn, and J. Lee, 2021. ”Gold deportment and leaching study from a pressure oxidation residue of chalcopyrite concentrate,” Hydrometallurgy, 201, 105583.
- Y. Cho, K. Kim, J. Ahn, and J. Lee, 2020. ”Application of multistage concentration (MSC) electrodialysis to concentrate lithium from lithium-containing waste solution,” Metals, 10, 851-863.
- J.E. Lee, H.I. So, I.H. Jang, Y.C. Cho, J. Ahn, and J. Lee, 2019. ”A Study on the Separation and Concentration of Li from Lithium-Containing Waste Solutions by Electrodialysis,” Korean J Met Mater, 57(10), 656-662.
- P. Lin, J. Wu, J. Ahn, and J. Lee, 2019. ”Adsorption characteristics of Cd(II) and Ni(II) from aqueous solution using succinylated modified hay,” Int J Miner Metall Mater, 26(10), 1239-1246.
- J. Ahn, J. Wu, J. Ahn, and J. Lee, 2019. ”Comparative investigation on sulfidic gold ore processing: A novel biooxidation process option,” Minerals Engineering, 140, 105864.
- J. Ahn, J. Wu, and J. Lee, 2019. ”Investigation on chalcopyrite leaching with methanesulfonic acd (MSA) and hydrogen peroxide,” Hydrometallurgy, 187, 54-62.
- D. Shin, J. Park, H. Park, J. Lee, M. Kim, and J. Lee, 2019. ” Key Microbes and Metabolic Potentials Contributing to Cyanide Biodegradation in Stirred- Tank Bioreactors Treating Gold Mining Effluent,” Min Proc and Extr Met Rev, 41(2), 85-95.
- J. Wu, J. Ahn, and J. Lee, 2019. ”Comparative Leaching Study on Conichalcite and Chalcopyrite under Different Leaching Systems,” Korean J Met Mater, 57(4), 1-6.
- D. Shin, J. Ahn, and J. Lee, 2019. ”Kinetic study of copper leaching from chalcopyrite concentrate in alkaline glycine solution,” Hydrometallurgy, 183, 71-78.